If you’ve always known you wanted to travel and now have this itching, tugging feeling that it’s about time to take a big leap for a Big Trip, here’s the first step you need to get started: Create your own Big Trip. This article shows you to take that first step to envision what that Big Trip looks like.
It’s about understanding what you really want, acknowledging your dream and bringing it into the light of day.
These steps takes allow you to go beyond your utterances of “I really want to travel” to the intention of “I am going to travel.” There are preparation steps to fill out logistics and preparation and answer that big question of “How to pay for it” but right now, in this step, anything is possible and achievable.
Take some deep breaths, clear your mind and set aside some time. This exercise requires a little concentration. You’ll be collecting a lot of information – just collect it. Don’t formulate a plan; just start a folder, a bookmark list, a pile, whatever.
The travel vision implies that you create your own dream – so start with filling in the blanks:
“I have always wanted to go to __________”
What comes into your mind? What place, what vision, what voice do you hear? Now, please don’t over think, but feel this exercise and know that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE and THERE CAN BE MORE THAN ONE ANSWER.
And now say it out loud.
“I have always wanted to go to __________”
Simply speaking it into the open air has now set your travel dream in motion. Congratulations.
You’re not fooling anyone now, if you push that statement back into your heart
My roommate always fills in this blank with “Istanbul” – her travel vision starts in Turkey. Now, Roomie, I hope you don’t mind me sharing this… but I’ve also noticed that you have a couple things that hint that your travel vision is more than a few days in the beautiful world capital of Istanbul. You have post-it bookmarked every European country page in your Lonely Planet “The Travel Book” AND you have a map of Africa in your room. I have a hunch that my roomie’s travel vision includes Europe, Istanbul, and Africa.
Warning: As you go bring to light your travel dreams, dark little thoughts like “How could you do this?” ” You could never afford to go there?” “I don’t have the vacation time/boyfriend/money to do this?” “I couldn’t leave my job/spouse/house/life to go there” or “I don’t know how” may pop up. Please ignore them. Really. We’ll address all those things, but right now just give yourself the freedom to dream.
Not sure where to get started? Too many thoughts…Follow Your Bliss.
I know this phrase is overused, but it’s got chops. If you know you want to travel, but are not sure where to go yet, then follow what you love to do, follow it all around the world.
You have a hobby or something that you like to do in your spare time. It could be writing, photography, mountain climbing, meditation, hiking, partying, dancing, cooking, eating, surfing, drinking, lying on a beach, scuba diving…and like the commercials say “there’s an app for that,” this theory follows through with “There’s a Place for That.” Some ideas:
- You can drink your way across the vineyards of Argentina and beyond on a “Red Wines of the World” tour.
- You can surf your way around the world Endless Summer style.
- You can volunteer around the world at different animal reserves. If you’re an animal lover.
- You can cook at the home of Middle Eastern Cuisine by visiting Beirut and making your way around the area to find the perfect Falafel. (hint: it’s in Paris)
- There’s Best Beaches of the World too, Large Rivers of the World, Rainforests of the World…
- And the always classic: Wonders of the World. Take from the classic list or create your own.
- Spiritual Wonders of the World for a visit to seven holy places across all different religions in the world (thoughts: Jerusalem, Sinai Peninsula, Jordan, Vatican City, Varanasi, Bodhgaya, Llasa, Machu Pichu, Sugarloaf Mountain and so many others)
- Theaters of the world (Globe Theater, Harbor Opera House in Sydney, the Paris Opera House) I could go on…
Write the places down, tear pictures out of magazines (on one’s you’ve purchased of course), print out the articles and start to collect it all and bring to life your Big Trip dream. You are now on your way to your own Big Trip. This was my vision board for my Middle Eastern trip.
And you can see how it turned out…